Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Mother was right (reason #2 "why do I need to go to mass")

The idea to write this series of blog posts came out of a few talks that I gave to the parents of children who are preparing for their sacraments of reconciliation and First Holy Communion.


One of the things that I was blunt about with them was that about 70% of the children in our religious education program do not attend mass weekly because their parents do not bring them to mass.


In these talks I was honest with the parents and I told them that it is wonderful that they bring their children to religious education on a weekly basis and that they want their children to receive the sacraments of reconciliation and First Holy Communion but...


Well, I shared with them a story:


My room wasn't this bad... but you get the idea.
Every Saturday morning, when I was a child, there was the same conversation.  My mother would tell me to clean my room and I would say, "I will."


My mother, knowing that I probably would not clean my room, responded with the phrase, "actions speak louder than words!"


I hated to hear that phrase.  I knew that she was right.  I preferred words to actions... I was good with words... I like words... but I did not want to clean my room.


I also reminded the parents that those of us who have made the transition from adolescents to adulthood have probably experienced the moment when we realized that we are turning into our parents.


It happens to all of us.  The truth is (and I told the parents this) that children will not listen to a word that their parents tell them... but they will imitate their parents.


If you are a parent know this: your child will not listen to a word that you say but they will turn into you.




They won't do what you tell them to do... but they will do what you do!


If you go to mass, then they will too.  If you don't then they won't.  


So, my #2 reason for going to mass is that if you are responsible for the faith and formation of your children (all parents are) then bringing them to religious education classes is not enough.  Telling your child that their faith "is important" is not enough.  Having your child prepare for their sacraments of reconciliation and First Holy Communion is not enough... all of it is not enough if you don not bring them to mass weekly.


Actions speak louder than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment