Monday, March 5, 2012

Some highly recommended reading

Hello all,


Every now and then I love to share with others some of my favorite books.


Right now I am reading a few books... I tend to read more than one at the same time.  Some of it is for personal spiritual growth, some of it is for theological study, and finally I read some for fun.


N.T. Wright is my favorite author on Scripture.  I cannot recommend his works highly enough to anyone.  Some of his writings are very technical and very scholarly.  Some of what he writes is aimed at the average "Jane and John Doe."


I am currently reading (almost done) with his book Mark for Everyone.  This book is part of a series that he finished where he takes a section of the New Testament and he writes a commentary/reflection that is accessible to everyone... no theological training is required.


I rely heavily on this book as a tool to prepare homilies for daily mass.  If you are interested in going deeper into your grasp and understanding of the New Testament then this is the place to start.


St. Jerome said, "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ."  He is right.  I think growing in your understanding of Scripture is a wonderful thing to do as you strive to grow in your faith, especially during Lent.  I'm reading Mark for Everyone because this year (cycle B) in the lectionary (the readings that we hear at mass) we will be reading the Gospel of Mark mainly.


My favorite and most recommended book that I have ever read on our Christian faith is also by N.T. Wright.  Surprised by Hope is, in my opinion, the finest book that is out there to help Christians understand what our faith in Jesus is really about!  This book opened my eyes and moved me deeply.  I could hardly read a page or two without wanting to stop and pray.  I devoured Surprised by Hope in a week.


If you read only one book about your faith in your entire life Surprised by Hope by N.T. Wright should be it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment