Sunday, March 18, 2012

What I've been up to

I know that another week has gone by without a homily.  I'm still getting used to the swing of things and time really does fly by.  Especially  this past week.


Last weekend I had the opportunity to visit a good friend and fellow friar, Fr. Adrian, at his parish in Coal Township PA.  I preached at all the masses and then I preached at their 40 hours Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday evening.  This was an incredible experience.  


One of the things that many people have known about me is that I like to talk and I have been "preaching" since I was a little boy.  But, in all seriousness, preaching really is my passion and the core of my vocation.  To get any chance to preach and to continue to gain experience is a wonderful thing.  I am very new to preaching and I can tell that there is quite a bit that I still need to learn.


Planing some cherry wood smooth
Well after my time with Fr. Adrian I went to visit a friend north of Baltimore.  He is a fellow woodworker.  (If you did not know woodworking is a big hobby of mine)  For me woodworking is a hobby but for him it is a profession... and he is very good at it.


Here is his web site.

One of Dave's Tea Tables
Dave, donated a tea table to our upcoming parish school auction (March 31) and I went to see him to pick up the table.  That and his wife is a wonderful cook and they stuff me full of great food and desserts whenever I visit.


I did not get back from my whirlwind trip till late on Thursday.  I also did not get to put together a homily for this weekend.


But, as before, I will have one for this upcoming weekend since I will be preaching at St. Francis Parish in New Britain, CT at all the masses.


I'd just like to offer this thought.  Our God is really rather foolish... think about it.  He did not come to condemn this world but to save it.  We hear this words so often, John 3:16 is the most quoted verse in the Bible, but do we ever get to verse 17 where John explains what verse 16 means?

For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him

I, for one, find this to be an incredible comfort and consolation.  I really am a sinner (I'm not just saying that to impress anyone) and I deserve to be condemned for the many times that I choose to be selfish, rebellious, and unfaithful.  The idea that God would choose to save me and to save the world that I live in is profound.


No comments:

Post a Comment