Friday, December 14, 2012

Newton CT shooting... a Christian reflection

It seems that something should be said.

It seems that some words ought to be offered, some reflection shared, some prayer uttered...

That maybe... somehow... something might help.

I don't have the words.  I can't manage to reflect.  I can barely pray.

I feel completely helpless.  I'm hollow inside.  I feel powerless and unsafe.

I have no words.  Nothing seems to help.

I've been thinking of Jesus' words.  What did He say?  Is there any comfort to be found in His thoughts?

At various times He said: "Go, your sins are forgiven," "your faith has saved you," "be healed..."  He said so many things...

At other times these words brought such comfort, such compassion, security, and deep peace.  But not today, not now, not for this!

The only words of Jesus that ring true today, here, and now are His last before He died, "My God my God why have you abandoned me!?!"

My God my God why have you abandoned us!!!

Why!?!

Those words ring true today... 

Those are the words that fit!!!

Yet... those final words are the words that saved us.

All the words of healing, compassion, and mercy were not the words that saved us.  Those words were not the words that brought about our salvation.

It was His last exclamation, before He died.  His last words were our salvation.  It was His suffering on the cross that saved us.  His abandonment and His pain healed us.

It was with those words of powerlessness, helplessness, and pain that He saved the world.  It was then that He defeated evil.  It was then that He ended the cycle of violence.  It was with those words that He gave us peace.

I think He is still with us and today those painful words ring ever so true. Those words still save us... those words still bring us hope.

My prayers go out to all the victims, families, friends, and everyone who has been touched by this tragedy.
My God bless you

No comments:

Post a Comment