Friday, June 29, 2012

Happy Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul!

Hello all,


Today (June 29th) is the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul.  
[a solemnity is one step more festive than a "feast"... it can get confusing]


I wanted to share this with you for a few reasons:


First, I like to eat and since today is even more special than a feast day then we ought to feast (eat) even more to celebrate today.


So enjoy some of your favorite food and/or beverages.  But do so in such a way that you remember who Peter and Paul were and what they have done in service of Jesus and the Gospel.


Secondly, my name is Peter (I think you know this) and I celebrate today as my personal "names day."  This is a custom that we have in the Franciscans that we have two special days.  The first is our Birthday and the second is the feast of the saint that you are named after.  Today is that day for me.  Today is my "names day."


Yesterday evening I went out for a sundae so I think that'll count for my feasting to celebrate today but I might enjoy with a frosty beverage this evening.


The third reason that I wanted to share today with you is that it is important to remember Peter and Paul.


There is no way that our Christian faith would be what it is without  the work and sacrifice of these two men.  Neither of them were perfect... far from it.  One denied and rejected Jesus and the other was going about trying to murder Christians.


God does not choose saints to do His will he picks sinners.


Both Peter and Paul died for their faith in Rome and it is because of that that the Christian Church has always regarded Rome as a very special place.  The bishop of Rome is also regarded as the one who takes the place and ministry of Peter in the Church... we call him the "Pope" today.


So today remember Peter and Paul.  Thank God that they were sent to share their Christian faith with the whole world and you might even read a bit of what they wrote.  


Here's a hint: it's in the Bible... blow the dust off and see what you can find.  


One of my favorite passages that St. Peter wrote (or is given credit for writing) 1 Peter 3:15b


Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment