Friday, June 22, 2012

I love physics!

My father was a chemist... I love physics.  They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  I suppose that is true in regards to my appreciation of science.


In regards to physics I follow a channel on YouTube called Minute Physics.  I enjoy their brief videos describing all things physics.


Well a few months ago the creator of the channel posted this video


I really enjoy the observations that are made in each and every video.  However in the above video there is an incredible insight that is being presented.


One of the last lines of the video is "Thank you stable orbits, for without you, life as we know it, and cheese, would be impossible."


There is something profound here.  Our universe is put together a very certain way.  If it were different at all it would not work.  The video about orbits, gravity, and our three dimensional world shows this well, I think. 


If the slightest detail of the cosmos were changed then life would not exist.  The more that we learn about our world through science the more that we can marvel at the exact and necessary details of how it all works together to make our universe "just right."


A very common example is that ice is one of the only solids that is less dense than its liquid form of water.  If water was like every other liquid then its solid form would sink in the liquid form.  If this were different, and ice sank, then life could not have developed the way that it has on earth.


It reminds me of the line from the first chapter of the Bible that we hear over and over... "God saw that it was good" and "God looked at everything that he had made and found it very good."

I'm not saying that the above video is trying to prove God's existence and I'm not saying that the book of Genesis is a scientific and historical account of creation (it isn't).

What I am saying is that I really enjoy the fact that the more that I learn about science the more that I marvel at the beauty of the universe.  My faith tells me that God made the world and science helps me understand more fully how good of a job God did when He created.



Thank you, science, for helping me to enjoy God's work.
Thank you, God, for creating, you did a wonderful job!

No comments:

Post a Comment